Financial Aid for Study Abroad

Any financial aid you currently receive can be used for study abroad, including: Pell Grant, Federal Direct Loans (Subsidized and Unsubsidized Stafford Loans and PLUS loans), Perkins Loan, HOPE Scholarship, and other scholarships.

Important: While most students are able to use financial aid to assist with the cost of studying abroad, it is very likely that you will need to cover these expenses up front and then be reimbursed at a later date by financial aid or other scholarships. Due to federal regulations, these funds very rarely come through in time to use them to cover your study abroad expenses directly! Please be aware of this and make arrangements to have your expenses covered in the meantime.

Steps to Securing Financial Aid for Study Abroad:

  1. Make sure to complete your FAFSA application well in advance of your term abroad.
  2. Once you’ve decided on your program, submit these forms to Financial Aid:
  3. Verify how your financial aid package will apply to your study abroad program by meeting with an advisor in the Office of Student Financial Aid.
*If you will be taking part in a non-Georgia State program, you must meet with a Study Abroad Advisor, your Academic Advisor, and complete the Transfer Credit Approval form and turn it in to the Study Abroad Programs Office before you will be eligible to use your aid to study abroad.
**We highly recommend that you notify the Office of Financial Aid of your expected budget increase for the semester you plan to study abroad. Increased costs include housing, food, transportation (including airfare), etc.

Financial Aid for Study Abroad FAQ

A: Every student studying abroad should submit the Intent to Study Off Campus Form to ensure they receive their financial aid disbursement as soon as possible for the term in which they are studying abroad.
A: No! You will need to turn this form into Financial Aid -- they are the ones who keep track of the Intent to Study Off Campus forms & Consortium Agreements; the Study Abroad Programs Office has no way of confirming with Financial Aid if you've turned these forms in, so make sure to keep a copy for yourself just in case!
A: The best way to get this form to Financial Aid is to drop it off in person in the drop box outside their office OR turn it in at Enrollment Services.
A: The sooner the better! While there is no due date for this form, you should turn it in as soon as you've been accepted to a program. This form is especially important for the Maymester/Summer terms, because it enables you to get your Financial Aid for the summer on or around May 15th -- a month before anyone else on campus!