Other Study Abroad Options

Direct Enroll

Studying abroad by attending a foreign university as an independent student (not part of an exchange or a program provider) for a semester or year is referred as “direct enrollment.” Students may direct enroll at any accredited foreign university. This type of experience will give you a great depth of immersion since you will be enrolling at the university as a fulltime student. You will be taking classes with mostly local students and classes are usually taught in the local language, though you may be able to find English options in your host country. A Study Abroad advisor can help you determine is a foreign university looks like a good option for you, but you will need to do the research to find a university you want to attend. Please be aware that this study abroad type is best suited for independent students because you will be working directly with your host university’s international office to arrange your international experience. Depending on the country and university, the cost of directly enrolling can be very inexpensive or very expensive, so make sure to keep that in mind when deciding if this is the right path for you.


Students looking for a more immersive experience may also find ISEP to be a good fit. ISEP is a network of over 300 colleges and universities in 42 countries cooperating to provide affordable access to international education for a diverse student population. ISEP students gain intercultural competence through integration into their host institution and host culture while exploring the international dimensions of their academic field.

ISEP offers students two options:

  • ISEP-Exchanges: reciprocal exchanges between ISEP member institutions.
  • ISEP-Direct: study abroad programs at ISEP member institutions that are open to students from ISEP member and affiliate institutions.

To participate in an ISEP program, you will need to register as a transient student through an ISEP member institution because Georgia State is not an ISEP member or affiliate. For more information please contact a Study Abroad advisor in the Study Abroad Programs office.